In 2021, 31 University of Nebraska–Lincoln undergraduates earned the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to assist credit-bearing research abroad, internship abroad or digital worldwide alternatives.
During the March 2021 software cycle, 12 Huskers acquired a Gilman scholarship to check abroad or full a digital worldwide program between May 1, 2021, and April 30, 2022. Nineteen Huskers had been awarded through the October 2021 cycle to take part in a program from Dec. 1, 2021, to Oct. 31, 2022.
The Gilman is a nationally aggressive scholarship awarded twice a yr by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of International Education. Students might apply a number of months prematurely of their program, permitting them to finalize their education abroad plans with the reassurance of funding.
The Gilman scholarship represents underrepresented undergraduates who may not in any other case take part resulting from monetary constraints, and goals to encourage college students to check and intern in a various array of nations and to check languages — particularly crucial want languages.
Gilman Scholars obtain as much as $5,000 to use towards program prices and will obtain as much as a further $3,000 to check a crucial language.
In response to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, the Gilman program is permitting recipients to make use of their scholarships to pursue on-line programs or digital intensive language applications at establishments primarily based outdoors of the United States, digital faculty-led research abroad applications or digital worldwide internships by means of summer time 2022. The program additionally commonly updates its listing of eligible nations for pupil participation in accordance with the U.S. Department of State’s journey advisories.
In addition to advising college students through the Gilman software course of with the Office of National and International Fellowships, Nebraska’s Education Abroad Office continues to assist college students searching for to go abroad in alignment with the college’s and Department of State’s journey insurance policies. The workplace has additionally expanded international digital studying alternatives in response to the pandemic, together with including new Global Experience programs, distant internships and affiliated digital applications.
Following is an inventory of the college’s latest Gilman Scholars by hometown, with yr at school, main(s), supposed nation of research and the 2021 software cycle for which they had been awarded.
- Lucille Kohtz, junior, international research, South Korea, October
- Anibal Grajeda, junior, worldwide enterprise, Italy, October
- Jaela Hardin, senior, psychology and international research, Spain, March
- Isabelle Vlach, junior, international research, Germany, March
- Nour Al-Ghareeb, senior, biochemistry and pre-health, Greece, October
- Sarah Al-Hilfy Leon, senior, international research and pre-law, Morocco, October
- Seth Alnwick, junior, artwork, South Korea, October
- Dawsyn Barnhill, sophomore, worldwide enterprise, France, October
- Devan Buescher, senior, administration and worldwide enterprise, United Kingdom, March
- Helen Duong, senior, international research and chemistry, Chile, March
- Elizabeth Graham, senior, diet and well being sciences, Ethiopia and Zambia, October
- Elle Hove, senior, worldwide enterprise, Italy, October
- Dylan Little, sophomore, artwork, Germany, March
- Maryam Muayad, sophomore, criminology and prison justice, Spain, March
- Yadah Mukendi Muamba, senior, enterprise administration, France, March
- Zeta Nguyen, senior, accounting, Japan, March
- Katie Schmitz, junior, international research, Ethiopia and Zambia, October
- Hadley Susie, junior, software program engineering, Germany, October
- Hannah Varenhorst-Johnson, junior, psychology and enterprise administration, Denmark, October
- Michael Earnest, junior, sports activities media and communication, and broadcasting, Japan, March
- Lauren Lewis, junior, advertising and marketing, Spain, March
- Gary Marshall, senior, promoting and public relations, United Kingdom, October
- Yajaira Pacheco-Menjivar, sophomore, worldwide enterprise, South Korea, October
- Yaritza Pacheco-Menjivar, sophomore, worldwide enterprise and pre-dentistry, South Korea, October
- Clarice Santos, senior, economics and sociology, Ethiopia and Zambia, October
- Jackson Stull, senior, music and German, Germany, October
- Monzeratt Valentin, senior, international research and political science, Uruguay, October
Elsewhere within the U.S.:
- Dalilah Valdez, senior, criminology and prison justice, and sociology, United Kingdom, October
- Ayla Volante, senior, anthropology and international research, Morocco, October
Sioux Falls, South Dakota:
- Jada Moore, junior, advertising and marketing, United Kingdom, March
Maple Valley, Washington:
- Rylan Korpi, senior, international research and arithmetic, Brazil, March
The subsequent cycle of Gilman scholarship purposes is due March 1. Interested college students ought to contact the Education Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Gilman Program web site for extra particulars.