PORTSMOUTH — Strawbery Banke is happy to current “Baby Animals: Heritage Breeds at the Banke” from Sat., April 23 by means of Sun., May 1, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., rain or shine, at 14 Hancock Street in Portsmouth.
Learn about home livestock typical on coastal northern New England farms from the seventeenth century to the current day at this family-friendly occasion. Expert breeders from NH, ME, MA, and NY farms reply guests’ questions on the particular heritage breeds, together with lambs, children, calves, piglets, bunnies, chicks, and ducklings, their care, developmental wants, and extra. Additionally, watch demonstrations resembling sheep herding and weaving.
Note: All of the animals are uncommon, heritage breeds, a lot of that are on the verge of extinction. For the well being and security of each the animals and guests petting is just not allowed.
Participating farms, breeders, and animal educators embrace:
• Newly-hatched chicks, turkeys, and ducklings;
• Clun Forest lambs and sheep, Riverbank Farm (Salisbury, NH);
• Gloucestershire Old Spot piglets and pigs, Gentile Family Homestead (Fitzwilliam, NH);
• Kerry and Dexter calves and cattle, Kerry Cattle Association (Westminster, MA);
• Jacob lambs and sheep, Hawthorn & Thistle Farmstead (Washington, ME);
• Lincoln Longwool lambs and sheep, Weston Family Farm (Hancock, NH);
• Nigerian Dwarf Dairy children and goats, Tiny Hill Farm (Milton Mills, NH);
• Scottish Blackface lambs and sheep, Heritage Stone Farm (Cape Vincent, NY);
• Shetland lambs and sheep, Echo Valley Farm (Limerick, ME);
• Silver Fox kittens and rabbits, Kerfluffle Fiber Farm (Lebanon, ME); and
• Soay lambs and sheep, Heritage Stone Farm (Cape Vincent, NY).
Additionally, take pleasure in an old school buying expertise at Pickwick’s at the Banke, the Museum retailer.
Tickets are restricted and can be found on-line at www.strawberybanke.org. Public ticket gross sales start Mon., March 28. Costs are: $10 for Adults $5 for Children (ages 3-17); kids below age 3 are free.