NELSONVILLE – The Longaberger Family Foundation and the I’m a Child of Appalachia® Fund on the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO) awarded greater than $40,000 in grants to Ok-12 public educators and nonprofit service suppliers in 2021.
According to a information launch, grants have been awarded to assist and encourage college students to purchase a broad, deep data base in topics integral to strong citizenship; forge optimistic relationships with the self and the broader world; and analyze totally different views and take motion.
This previous 12 months, 11 grants have been awarded. The 2021 Civics Education Grant recipients are:
• Alexander High School obtained a grant to assist the Think Globally, Act Locally undertaking. The focus of the undertaking is to determine humanitarian points dealing with folks globally and handle these points on the native stage. High faculty college students will attend the Ohio Model United Nations (OMNU) convention and return dwelling to share their civics education experiences with center faculty college students and make optimistic change inside their very own neighborhood.
• Belmont County Sheriff’s Office (BSCO) obtained a grant to assist the BSCO Explorers’ Post #7 undertaking. This undertaking will develop and enrich Post #7 by recruiting new candidates and constructing the abilities of present Explorers. Through the Explorer Academy, civic duty is taught and bolstered with continued education alternatives in youth management construction, budgeting/cash administration and mentoring. The program emphasizes the significance of the felony justice system, social justice, constructing relationships, empathy, private duty, variety, neighborhood service and monetary administration.
• Cambridge High School Ohio Model United Nations obtained a grant to assist the Ohio Model United Nations State Conference Travel Fund undertaking. The Ohio Model United Nations is a three-day international education simulation expertise that enables college students in grades 5-12 to study concerning the world’s largest worldwide peacekeeping and humanitarian group. Each 12 months, roughly 30 college students from Cambridge High School attend the annual state convention. Funding will probably be used to pay for the scholars’ attendance charges.
• Fort Frye High School obtained a grant to assist the Operation: Monument Restoration undertaking. The objective of this undertaking is to take part in service studying by cleansing the gravestones from the founders of the neighborhood, together with Oliver Tucker, and studying about native historical past. Funding will probably be used to purchase cleansing provides.
• Ohio Alliance of YMCAs Foundation obtained a grant to assist the Ohio YMCA Youth and Government undertaking. This undertaking goals to encourage and assist younger residents who’re educated and obsessed with being concerned in their neighborhood and native democracy. Funding will present a supplemental curriculum for college kids who, inside a mock-state authorities physique, will assess neighborhood wants, write legislative payments and work to resolve points deepening their data of democracy.
• Ohio FFA Foundation, Inc., obtained a grant to present scholarships for college kids to attend the Ohio Legislative Leadership Conference. These convention scholarships will present college students with the power to develop necessary advocacy abilities for agricultural education. Students will study necessary points associated to agriculture, education, career-technical education and Future Farmers of America (FFA).
• Ohio University obtained a grant to assist the Strengthening Civics Education in Appalachian Ohio undertaking. This undertaking helps a pre-existing undertaking by WOUB Public Media referred to as “Our Ohio,” a documentary movie undertaking that challenges college students to study and discover movies about Appalachian cultural identification, neighborhood, media literacy, and multimedia storytelling. The Strengthening Civics Education in Appalachian Ohio undertaking will introduce a movie referred to as “Portraits and Dreams” to college students at Logan, South Gallia, Alexander, Wellston, and Meigs excessive colleges and ask them to take part in a digital panel dialogue and multimedia storytelling workshop held by WOUB.
• Ohio Valley Youth Network and Sycamore Youth Center obtained a grant to assist the Sycamore Civic Literacy & Community Service program. This program goals to give Jefferson County Junior High and High School college students the chance to examine the historical past, construction and operations of native authorities. Students will study concerning the native authorities via a semester-long Civics Engagement course. The program additionally will embody three neighborhood service days and attendance at metropolis council conferences.
• Ohio-West Virginia Youth Leadership Association (YLA) obtained a grant to assist the Ohio YLA 6-Eighth Grade Youth & Government Seminar undertaking. The Ohio-West Virginia YLA is a nonprofit group geared toward serving to youth develop moral management and citizenship abilities via character-building applications. Funding will probably be used to ship college students to authorities seminars. Participants will probably be ready to decide how their actions as residents and leaders have a direct influence on how governments operate on the state stage.
• Vinton County Middle School obtained a grant to assist the Civic Education via Action and Art undertaking. This undertaking will train sixth-grade college students about civic engagement with three phases: finding out, taking part and experiencing. After college students study and have interaction with civics education, they are going to attend discipline journeys to the Cincinnati Art Museum and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
• Zanesville High School obtained a grant to assist the American Pride Tour undertaking. Zanesville High School freshmen in U.S. History and juniors in authorities programs will take a tour of the historic websites which have framed our nation from its founding to right now. The objective of this undertaking is for the social research division to develop the horizon of Zanesville college students. Students will go away Zanesville High School and journey to Philadelphia, Penn., to tour the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the President’s House, and extra. Students will even journey to Gettysburg and Shanksville Memorial.
An efficient civics education program offers college students with the data, abilities and disposition vital to grow to be knowledgeable and engaged residents. This grant program helps these efforts by offering educators and nonprofit service suppliers with assets to actively implement civics education alternatives for Ok-12 public faculty college students.
This grant alternative is supported by the I’m a Child of Appalachia® Fund, which was created to handle the best wants and pursue essentially the most thrilling alternatives dealing with Appalachian Ohio’s communities right now, whereas rising the assets wanted to make a distinction for generations to come.