The PDSA Dickin Medal was first awarded 1943 within the United Kingdom by Maria Dickin to honour the service of animals in World War II.
It is a bronze medallion, bearing the phrases “For Gallantry” and “We Also Serve” inside a laurel wreath, carried on a ribbon of striped inexperienced, darkish brown and pale blue.
It is awarded to animals which have displayed fearless devotion to obligation whereas serving or related to any department of the Armed Forces or Civil Defence Units, The medal can be referred to as “the animals ” Victoria Cross.
Maria Dickin was the founder of the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), a British veterinary charity during which she established the award for any animal displaying gallantry and devotion to obligation while serving with British Empire armed forces or civil emergency companies.
The medal was awarded 54 instances between 1943 and 1949 – to 32 pigeons, 18 canines, 3 horses, and a ship’s cat – to acknowledge actions of gallantry or devotion in the course of the Second World War and subsequent conflicts. (Reference: Photographs and analysis Wikipedia).
HAVE YOUR SAY
Like the South Coast Herald’s Facebook web page, comply with us on Twitter and Instagram