The Green Bay Packers’ 2021 season abruptly ended Saturday evening at Lambeau Field after Robbie Gould kicked the game-winner as time expired to give the 49ers a 13-10 victory and a berth in the NFC Championship Game.
The shocking loss put into perspective how shortly the postseason can finish, one thing the Packers hadn’t grown accustomed to since Matt LaFleur took over as head coach in 2019. Green Bay had reached the NFC Championship Game in every of the earlier two seasons and had been favorites towards the 49ers on Saturday.
To add insult to damage, the 49ers seemingly pulled off the unthinkable primarily based on previous playoff historical past. The unlikelihood of San Francisco’s victory can finest be summarized by the following statistics:
– Aaron Rodgers was beforehand 41-0 in his profession in video games when his protection gave up 14 factors or fewer. In a season wherein the Packers protection appeared to lastly put all of it collectively, Rodgers was unable to capitalize when it mattered most.
– The 49ers are simply the third staff in the Super Bowl period (which dates again to 1970) to block a punt and a discipline purpose in the similar playoff recreation. The solely different two cases: the Vikings in the 1976 NFC Championship Game and the Bills in the 1988 AFC Divisional Round.
– The 49ers are simply the fourth staff since 2000 to win in the playoffs with out scoring an offensive landing. All 13 of San Francisco’s factors got here through particular groups; a blocked punt returned for a landing, an additional level and two discipline targets.
– The Packers’ 10 factors scored is the lowest quantity in a playoff recreation since the 2002 NFC Wild Card Round (a 27-7 loss to the Falcons). It’s additionally the fourth-lowest quantity scored in a playoff recreation in franchise historical past.
– The Packers will now go down as the staff with the most regular-season wins in a three-year span (39) in NFL historical past with out a Super Bowl look.
– On an analogous notice, Matt LaFleur holds the document for many common season wins in a coach’s first three seasons (39), but has nothing to present for it in the postseason. LaFleur is 39-9 general in the common season since taking on in 2019.
– Despite the freezing climate on Saturday evening, the Packers nonetheless managed to rating fewer factors than the precise temperature at kickoff. Depending in your supply, the temperature at Lambeau Field for kickoff was 11 or 12 levels. Green Bay solely scored 10 factors, their second-lowest output of the season (seven factors towards the Chiefs in Week 9).
– The 49ers by no means led throughout the recreation. San Francisco gained the recreation on a discipline purpose as time expired on the clock. The Packers took a 7-0 lead with 9:25 left in the first quarter and led till 4:41 left in the fourth quarter.
– According to Next Gen Stats, the 49ers’ win likelihood remained beneath the 25 p.c mark till the last 5 minutes of the recreation.